Dear Families and Students,
Today, Taylor County Schools is opening registration for virtual students in grades 6-12 only. We will not have an option for grades K-5 this year as a state level curriculum is not offered and our teachers are needed in our classrooms for face to face instruction. As last year, rules have been established for participation. Please review these carefully before completing the form registering your student for participation. The health and safety of all students and staff remains our number one priority.
1. West Virginia Virtual School is the platform we will use.
2. Students with IEPS will be offered virtual school using a different platform to support IEP learning goals and success.
3. Registration opens today, August 12, 2021 closing August 23, 2021 for the first semester.
4. September 16, 2021 is the date that we will use as a cutoff and return to face to face instruction if a student or their family finds they are not successful in virtual school in the first semester.
5. Students previously enrolled in virtual school can reenroll if they passed 3 out of 4 classes last year.
6. iPad distribution will take place the week of August 24, 2021, and a parent must be present when students picks up for signatures on required forms.
7. Taylor County Middle School students will be offered four core classes and Wellness the first semester with four core and Art the second semester.
8. GHS students will be offered four core classes and two electives from the GHS virtual schools course catalog.
9. Criteria to remain in virtual school:
GHS - At the end of the first 6 weeks you must have 33% of all courses completed
TCMS - At the end of the first 9 weeks you have 50% of all courses completed
Students not meeting this criterion will be removed and enrolled for face to face instruction.
10. Certified warning letters will be sent to the homes of students who may be dropped at the end of the first semester if improvement does not occur the week of November 29, 2021.
11. Certified letters will be sent to the homes of students not eligible to participate the second semester January 3, 2022. Students who have had issues with completion and performance will those that receive these letters.
12. Second semester information will be shared in December 2021.
To register please use the following link:
Taylor County Schools remains committed to the health and safety of our students and staff.
Christy Miller, Superintendent